About Volleyball Canada

November 25, 2010

John Galloway - Member of FTC in Gatineau

Hey everyone.

My name is John Galloway, I'm one of the athletes participating at the FTC.  I'm new to blogging, so I'll just put down a few thoughts about my time spent here.  When I came to FTC I thought I was in decent shape and was a decent volleyball player.  Within a couple of days you realize that you need a lot of work in both areas.  Good thing you spend 6 hours a day monday/wednesday/friday working those areas and another 3 hours tuesday /thursday.  The simplest drills like passing or setting balls in a fairly large cylinder say 7/10 times are difficult at the beginning. 
I've made a few jumps throughout my playing days.  Similar to a high schooler going to college, college going to CIS, you don't realize how bad you were or what you could get away with at the lower level.  It's a large jump from CIS to professional standards.  Bad habits have to be eliminated, and technical adjustments have to be made.  One of the toughest things to hear is that you have to change techinically to be more efficient, when you think that you already do the skill well.  I've kept a fairly open mind to changes, and am constantly reminding myself that this training is a process, an investment, and it will eventually pay off. 
For those considering professional volleyball, I would recommend the FTC.  For me it was the only way to go.  Our training group is lucky enough to have a trip planned to Slovenia in 11 days for about 2 weeks.  Once there, we will continue to train, and have 6 matches over the time period.  If I understand correctly, this is could serve as an audition for a pro contract in january.  If we play well, and have our coaches blessings, our improvement will continue overseas.  A couple already with international exposure are looking to secure something.  Having no international exposure it will be tougher for the rest of us to land a contract, but are nonetheless optimistic that there will be something fired our way.A contract would certainly be exciting, although I really don't have an idea how likely landing one will be.    I looked at the FTC as a year long investment as having only played one year of leftside before my final CIS season.  I'm still learning and new to the position, so I certainly wouldn't be crushed if I returned to the FTC in 2011. 
Anyways, for those that get the oppurtunity to play FTC in the future, here are a few things that I think will help.  Be sure to come in with willingness to change, a strong work ethic, belief in the process, and good things will happen. 

~John~

No comments:

Post a Comment