About Volleyball Canada

March 25, 2011

Women's National Team Athlete Blog - Tonya Mokelki


As they would say here in German: Hallo und guten Tag!
I am currently living in the town of Sinsheim, Germany and let me begin by saying that it is a pretty small town but at the same time… still bigger than where I come from :) I am fortunate enough to have a fellow Team Canada teammate (Marisa Field) on my team and of course we are roomies and spend basically 24 hours a day together so we have lots of great bonding experiences and road trips. I am sure that Reece has written a blog or two so I will try not to repeat everything she said :)
So far Germany is a great country to live in. Sinsheim is in the south-west part and luckily for me, the majority of the people here speak english, with the exception of the places where you actually need to communicate with people; like at the bank, or the much needed tanning salon hahaha. Whenever we get a chance we take off in our little Corsa and hit the autobahn! I do most of the driving, which is okay because I LOVE to drive fast and it just so happens that for most of the part, you can drive as fast as you want here :) I absolutely love it. Speaking of driving fast… so we have this German family, the Reinhard's whom have basically taken us in as their long lost daughters, and it just so happens that they have a ferrari. I have yet to take it out on the autobahn but Marisa got to cruise around town in it so she was super excited about that!
In December we made a quick overnight road trip to Amsterdam to meet up with some fellow Canadian volleyball players and had a great time. I only wish I could have spent more than 12 hours there :) After that we went galavanting off to Paris for Christmas. This was also a fairly quick trip due to us only getting 2.5 days off. We also got to spend a little time in Berlin which was awesome. Somehow though I managed to get my foot stomped on and anyone that knows us Team Canada ladies know that we like to dress to the nine when we go out… this being said of course I was in 3 inch heels. Needless to say heels and foot stomping do not go hand in hand. The next morning my foot was black and blue and swollen like a balloon! Thankfully nothing too serious was wrong and I was able to practice on it 3 days later. Our latest road trip was to Prague! Oh how I love Prague and cannot wait to go back again. There are so many amazing things to see and so much history there. To me though the best part of this trip was the girls! It was so great to be able to travel and see this amazing place with friends and Team Canada team mates; Marisa and Julie Young. A few others also joined us so by Sunday there was a total of 7 of us causing a ruckus in the Czech Republic.

I am really enjoying my experience over here but I also miss my family and friends. I will definitely be ready to come home in May, have a couple days off to spend with my family and then start up again with Team Canada :)

Tschüss
Tonya Mokelki

No comments:

Post a Comment